It seems like the conservative culture of family values doesn't work in Jim Demint's South Carolina.
South Carolina pastor Dale Richardson accused of raping women behind church
LADSON, S.C. - South Carolina pastor Dale Richardson has been charged with kidnapping and raping several women at gunpoint, including two of them in a trailer behind his church. He is also accused of kidnapping a fourth who was not sexually assaulted.
According to an incident report, on a Saturday afternoon in July, the preacher picked up a woman and gave her a ride. When the 20-year-old tried to exit out of the car, Richardson allegedly pulled a gun, bound her hands, covered her head and took her to the gray-blue trailer home behind the Free Will Baptist Church in Ladson.
The report also said he later dropped the woman in a wooded area and threatened to shoot her if she turned around. The woman was able to identify Richardson from his picture on the church website, which also displays a short biography detailing how he became a Christian and then a pastor.
Read the full CBS-AP report
South Carolina Sexual Assault Statistics
The newest statistics from SLED’s website states that in 2009, South Carolina had a total of
1,649 rape offenses reported:
- The rape rate in South Carolina has been higher than the national rape rate since1982.
- In South Carolina, the rape rate has increased 37.6 percent from 1975 to 2009
- A decline of 2.9 percent of rapes took place from 2008 to 2009.
- 50.2 percent of offender relationships to victims of rapes were acquaintances.
- 22.6 percent of rape victims fell into the age range of 18-24.
- Saluda County, SC ranks number one in the state for number of rapes per 10,000 people residing in the county (15 offenses = 7.9 rapes per 10,000 people).
http://www.sled.sc.gov/documents/CrimeReporting/SCCrimeBooks/2008/2008%20Crime%20in%20South%20Carolina.pdf as of March 2011